The word Staphylococcus originates from the Greek word staphyle which means a grape bunch. In fact the bacteria looks like a bunch of grapes when studied under a microscope. Staph or Staphylococcal infection can affect your body in various areas and your body would suffer from different types of diseases as a result of this diseases. The severity of the illness related to Staph can range from mild to severe complex disease that could be life threatening at times. It has been estimated that there are more than thirty different types of Staphylococcus bacteria but Staphylococcus aureus is the main cause for Staph infection. Currently it has been estimated that 25% of average adult and the same percentage among hospital professionals suffer from this infection. Staph infection affects the nose and skin area in a patient’s body in most cases. This bacterium affects the immunity system of the patient and this leads to various health complications related to it.
What are the basic symptoms of Staph infection?
The symptom that a patient suffers during Staph infection depends on the sereneness of the infection and the specific area in the body which it has been affected by it. Some of the common symptoms are:
• Different skin infections like furuncles, infections in an existing wound and scalded ski syndrome.
• Infections affecting the soft tissue in the body.
• Toxic shock symptoms where a patient suffers from fever and several body organs function as a result of exposure to toxicity in the body.
• Acute food poisoning.
• If the patient is using prosthetic device there could be Staph infection related to it.
• Infection in the urinary tract.
How is Staph diagnosed?
When you visit a doctor suffering from Staphylococcal infection your doctor would diagnose the following things which are:
• Check the nature and type of the patient’s skin or soft tissue Staph infection.
• Check the patient’s fever if he is suffering from Toxic-shock syndrome and immediately try to diffuse the high body temperature and its related body complications.
• Check the basic symptoms of Endocarditis like high fever, loss of appetite and weight.
• The doctor would start the patient on anti bacterial medication when Staph infection is confirmed.
• The physician would also remove temporary intravascular devices like catheter would be removed from the patient’s body to prevent further complications in Staph infection.
What type of medication is given to the patient?
Most physicians would give Staph patients oral rifampin, doxycycline and special medicated washes like chlorhexidine gluconate.
The best way to fight against Staph infection is to keep your body clean and not expose it to the polluted environment for long periods. If you are infected with Staph infection be careful and do not use the things belonging to other family members. Do not touch the affected area often and keep your hands clean at all times. These simple strategies would help you to combat your Staph infection in a better way.